Advent CalendarsChristmas is a special time of year when we remember events of over 2000 years ago, spend time with family and friends, and decorate the home with festive decorations.
Advent celebrates the weeks before Christmas. The idea of an advent calendar originated in 19th century Germany and has become a holiday tradition in many homes around the world.
You can buy them of course and if time is tight it might be the best way to go, however if you have the time and would like something that is more original it is a good idea to create your own family advent calendar.
How To Make An Advent Calendar
Supplies You Will Need To Make Your Advent Calendar
- Large piece of cardboard or Poster board
- 24 small containers like match boxes, envelopes, cardboard toilet rolls, small boxes
- Art supplies - markers, paints, holiday stickers, glitter, ribbon to decorate your calendar
- 24 small treats, candy or toys
- Glue gun
Instructions For Making Your Advent Calendar
- Draw a holiday shape on your cardboard large enough to hold 24 containers. This will form the base of your advent calendar. It could be a christmas tree, a star, a bell or a simple rectangle.
- Cut out the shape and place your containers on the cardboard
- Decorate the board
- Decorate the containers with markers, paints, holiday stickers, glitter etc. The possibilities are endless.
- Number the containers from 1 to 24
- Glue on the containers - these could be in a random or fixed pattern but make sure you can open them easily when the time comes!
- Add surprises in each container - this could be a small toy or candy
- Beginning on December 1 open one container a day as you countdown to Christmas
Advent Calendar Ideas
- Stocking Advent Calendar
- Christmas Wreath Advent Calendar
- Baby Socks Advent Calendar
- Pocket Advent Calendar
- Greeting Card Advent Calendar
- Matchbox Advent Calendar
- Christmas Tree Advent Calendar
- Luminary Advent Calendar
- Mini Bucket Advent Calendar
- Santa Bag Advent Calendar
Visit our recommended sites for detailed instructions on how to make an advent calendar.
or look here - for family craft ideas
or here for the EHow way!
or here for advent ideas and printable advent pictures for children to colour
Thank you for visiting how to make an advent calendar