How did Mother's Day start ?
The earliest Mother's Day celebrations can be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honor of Rhea, the Mother of the Gods. In the 1600's Christians in England celebrated a day to honor Mary, the mother of Christ. This holiday was later expanded to include all mothers and became known as Mothering Sunday.
M is for moments together.
O is for your optimism.
T is for your tenderness.
H is for the happiness you bring.
E is for your everlasting love.
R is for the respect I have for you.
What is the purpose of Mothers Day?
The purpose of this special day is to have an opportunity to thank mothers for the hard work and love that they put into raising their kids.
It's more than a social nicety or etiquette, it gives us an opportunity, at least once a year, to stop, reflect and honor the role of mothers.
What date is Mother's Day?
It is celebrated on different days, depending on what country you live in. However, it's usually either in April or May. In the UK it is known as Mothering Sunday and it is celebrated on the fourth Sunday of Lent. Mothers Day in North America is celebrated on the second Sunday in May.
UK Mothering Sunday 2016 is Sunday, March 6.
Mothers Day 2016 is Sunday, May 8
What gift other than flowers can I buy my mom?
First, don't ever underestimate the power of flowers - your mum probably loves them and enjoys having them around the home!
However, sometimes it's important to show that you've put in a bit more effort in buying the right gift - this is where knowing your mums interests and likes can be really helpful. If you know that she likes a particular store - a small gift with a gift voucher could be the perfect surprise , whatever she enjoys - buy her something to complement and enhance it.
DID YOU KNOW?
Americans will spend approximately $2.6 billion on flowers, $1.53 billion on pampering gifts—like spa treatments—and another $68 million on greeting cards, according to IBISWorld
For example, if she's just taken up a sport, buy a related gift; if she's into cooking, get a copy of the latest cookery book, but you will need to have an idea what she's currently interested in.
Still unsure what to buy ? Treat her to something special ! This could mean:-
- treating her to a meal in a restaurant
- taking her out to the theatre, cinema or park
- buying her and a friend a pampering or beauty treatment
- planning a day out with her
Remember, it's not always about how much money you spend, but sometimes it's about how much thought you put in.
Do you have any ideas for a craft project for mothers day?
Whatever age you are, something homemade can still be a treasure - even a handwritten card or poem can be more meaningful than money spent on an unwanted gift.
If you're looking for creative crafts for kids, here's our recommended online resources :-
Enchanted Learning - a site for subscribers, but with plenty of free ideas and craft activities for making cards and childrens gifts.
I've been asked to help with pre school crafts for mothers day - what can I do?
... crafts for preschoolers ...
Top Ten Gift Ideas for Mom
Whether it's her birthday, Christmas or another special occasion, here's our top unusual ideas for a gift for her:-
- Luxury pamper day with beauty treatments and massage (guaranteed to make all her friends jealous!)
- Get all the family together for a professional photo shoot and have a copy framed specially for her
- Treat her to that very expensive perfume that she loves, but doesn't dare afford for herself
- Indulge her and buy that designer watch or item of jewelry that she's been looking at for so long
- Buy some theatre tickets for you both - she'll enjoy spending time with you and also the opportunity to dress up and go out somewhere special
- Pre-order some beautifully presented flowers or a gift basket - with a handwritten card from you, if possible
- Personalized Calendar - create a photo gift that she'll enjoy every day. Add family photos and birthday dates, to create a truly unique gift specially for her
- Magazine subscription - ordering a magazine or flower subscription, means she'll have something to remind her of how special you think she is every month
- Buy an eco-gift for charity - send a child to school for a year, buy a goat for a family,
Top Inexpensive Gift Ideas for your Mother
Whether you're looking for a green or environmentally friendly gift, or are just on a budget, here's a few suggestions:-
- Bake her a cake
- Buy her a plant or some herbs for her kitchen
- Plant a tree in her name
- Burn her a CD full of the music she enjoys listening to
- Frame up some of her favorite family photos (print them at home on your color printer)
- Treat her to a film night - at home, with her favorite movie, a takeout meal and a big tub of icecream or popcorn
- Personalized gifts - it's easy to create photo gifts through eBay or dozens of other online sites. Create a mug, mouse mat or calendar that your mom can enjoy right through the year
- Create your own bath and candle gift baskets for her to relax and enjoy.
For more ideas on what you can buy for your mother for Mothers Day just click on the following link to take you to our Mother's Day Gifts page.
A Prayer for All Mothers
Thank you, Lord, that you fill a mother’s heart with love,
That you have instilled in her very being the need to protect her children if at all possible,
Thank you for giving her the gift of nurturing her children, of teaching them, of comforting them,
for feeding them and making a safe place for them.
For guiding them to be all that God has created them to be.
Fill every mother with love, wisdom and endurance,
with strength and patience and joy.
Give them ability to forgive again and again.
Enable her to rely on You and call upon You, because You will give her all she needs.
In Your precious and all powerful name,
Mothers Day Resources
Here's some sites that we've enjoyed finding, all about mums:-
Dates for 2015 - US Federal holidays for 2015
Mothers Day Prayer and Blessing - a moving reading and prayer for Christian churches
Mother's Day Poem - favorite poems written specially for Moms